Friday 31 August 2012

Conviction


I am so glad its Shabbos! It has been such a crazy week with classes, errands and shuk expeditions that it is so nice to just prepare for Shabbos in a relaxed environment. I really feel that Shabbat is one of the healthiest things I do in my life. It’s a time I take to reflect on my self and my week, to make an effort to communicate more frequently and honestly with G-D.

I have to things I want to share from my day yesterday. First, in the afternoon I went to volunteer with 14 other girls at a food packing plant called Yad Eliezer (I have picks that’ll be posted on Sunday). Yad Eliezer is an organization that has several programs to help fight the poverty situation in Israel – there are over 1.6 million people who go to sleep hungry every night (in a country of 7.76 million people it’s a big deal)! We were put right to work setting up over 80 boxes on a conveyer. We filled each box with rice, beans, pasta, sugar, flour, oil, soap, canned vegetables and other necessities. According to the organization “ by supplying food to the home rather than feeding people in a soup kitchen, Yad Eliezer helps families to maintain a sense of normalcy, dignity and stability despite their economic constraints”. We worked really well as a group and filled over 130 boxes as well as built boxes for the next day. Before we left the man who helps run the warehouse asked if we would come back before Rosh Hashana. I’m sure their demand is especially high then and I would really love to go back.

In my first night class last night we had a teacher who is so excited about the material that you just cant help but be enthralled as well. I really learned such a valuable lesson from an hour with her and really feel that it is worth sharing with all of you. First, I should note that although the class was given over by her and had her own interpretation and thoughts, it is based initially based on the teachings of Rabbi Miller. In last week’s parsha (Shoftim) and this week’s parsha (Ki Tetzeh) it says that we should not be afraid of our enemies/battles (this includes personal battles) because Hashem is with us. It is further commented that saying Kriyat Shemah (the blessing that G-D is our G-D, and he is one), is the only thing that saves you from your battles. In other words, if you believe that GD is the only one then this conviction can overcome anything. But what does that mean? Can our convictions change reality? Your attitude can definitely change how reality feels. This is seen when Jacob was waiting for Rachel for 7 years but in his eyes, because he loved her, it felt like only a few days. The then, is that faith in GD does not change reality, it revels the reality that no matter how many enemies you are fighting, the number is insignificant to GD. So, by believing you allow reality to exist, you give potential for things to happen and you give power to this reality. On the flip side, lack of faith blinds you to what is real. It prevents you from being open to the potential you have to create in the world. This really resonates with me – knowing that although GD and not me is in control of the world, I have the power of my own conviction to reveal the reality that I so often am too caught up in superficiality to see. It’s empowering to know that we possess the ability to reveal the potential that Hashem has given the world.

Although I have more to share, I feel that it is important to end off with this something for us all to think about.

I’m off to bring in Shabbos with my friend Mur.

Shabbat Shalom to all of you and I hope that we are all able to believe with all of strength to reveal true reality.

Xoxo

Dana

Ps please pray for or keep in mind Adina bat Chana a 14 year old girl who was hit by a van this week in Jerusalem. Refuah Shelemah




1 comment:

  1. When I was in grade nine, Yad Eliezer, I think, was just starting - or at least, they had just moved into a new warehouse. My group went there and painted murals on the wall and then we later packed boxes for shabbat. Nice to hear that they're still around doing some good. Another amazing organization is Latet and Table-to-Table. Volunteer for Latet durring passover collecting food for the needy in grocery stores. Table-to-Table is like going to farms and picking that 10% of food farmers leave over for the needy. I picked peppers and oranges when I lived there for the year.

    ReplyDelete