Tuesday 21 August 2012

Last Night

Tonight I was very blessed to have 27 loving and amazing family and friends at my house for a "Goodbye" BBQ hosted by my mother (whom I must add prepared the entire thing by herself after an out of town dinner on Friday and my sister's wedding on Sunday) - LOVE YOU!! After having worked at camp all summer, preparing for the wedding and running around doing errands for my departure, I hadn't really had the time to properly prepare for the reality of leaving Montreal. Tonight was definitely a reality check after receiving letters from my spectacularly adorable cousins (that I haven't opened for fear of outright sobbing), saying goodbye to some of my closest friends and watching my Bubbie cry :(

To those of you in NYC and Indiana who couldn't be here tonight please know how much I will miss you and am hugging you with all my might!
Words could not describe how lucky I am to have you all in my life (you know who you are) and how hard it will be not to have you guys close. But you have all given me such wonderful advice, well wishes and promises to keep in touch that I feel a teensy but better about being away. Don't get me wrong, I am definitely excited to start a new chapter in Israel, studying at seminary, going on adventures and meeting new people (and of course spending time with some of my favourite people already there). After having gone through a religious journey that started last summer and continues at this moment - the main reason for my choice to study at Neve (Girl's seminary in Jerusalem) - I know that so many of you think this is a one way trip. At the moment the plan is to return on June 4 (B"H) but I am open to whatever comes my way :p

That having been said, I think I should take this moment to address an issue that I don have the stomach to do in person. Some (but definitely not all) family and friends joke about me being religious which apparently equals a life of slavery to children and husband or comment on my various observances and fact that I am not in university. What I have to say is that this is not a phase, as so many of you have perhaps hoped and more likely assumed. This journey has been long and hard in coming as future posts will hopefully show. I hope that you all realize I am and will always be Dana only maybe with a few more refinements. To most of you who know me though, what I have to say is thank you for the acceptance that you have shown me thus far. I hope that this blog gives all those that I love, like, and barely know an opportunity to keep up with my various escapades around Israel. Please be in touch and share your comments bellow!
Last but certainly not least, to my parents who despite everything and perhaps sometimes with some difficulty, are supporting my choice to go to Neve. I love you both and will be stalking you all the time (mom - my complaints about everything, excitement over Joelle and cries; Dad - my cell phone, internet, logistics and updates in quick note form presentation).

Layla Tov (slash boker tov since its 2:22 AM).
xoxo
Dana
ps For those of you who were there for my fashion show and those who missed it....yes I have purchased a swim dress! (Dramatic pause for familial giant jaw drop and/or laugh) Dress being the key word as Heidi and Steeven thought it was a regular outfit lol

2 comments:

  1. Hey Dana! Its your cousin Gillian here. Huge mazal tov about the wedding! I want to wish you the most inspiring and successful year in Israel. A few years back, I went to seminary in Tsfat which was probably one of the most exciting times of my life. I learnt a ton, and made new friends that I still have a strong connection with today. People are going to say what they say. However I'm really proud of you for sticking up for yourself. One of my best friends went to Neve and had an amazing experience. My best advice, stay open to whatever you learn and take your time in slowly learning it. Jumping into being more religious, no matter how inspired one is, tends to backfire once a person returns home. Whatever you learn should hopefully stay with you for the rest of your life and theres no reason to rush any of it!

    My husband Levi lived these past 10 years in Jerusalem, so if you ever want an interesting place to go for Shabbat or need help with something please let me know :) .

    Love,
    Gillian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Gil!
    Thanks for the supportive words :)
    I plan to take things at my own pace so hopefully there won't be any backfiring although I now things will get overwhelming but thats life!
    I'm always open to places to go for Shabbat.
    Thanks & love from Jerusalem,
    Dana

    ReplyDelete