Monday 24 September 2012

Greetings from Cafe Net :)



Currently I find myself sitting in my favourite internet cafe which happens to be located in the Jerusalem central bus station - yes completely on my own. I've realized how much I love spending time with myself. Not that I don't have people to hang out with, but Israel has this way of opening up every deep dark and happy parts of yourself thus necessitating time with one's self. Usually on Mondays, the only school day that we have the afternoon and evening off, I like to most around town and sometimes find myself a quaint spot to drink ice coffee (YUUUMMM) and blog o  r catch up on some online guilty pleasures :)
As many of you may know, last week was Rosh Hashanah - the Jewish New Year. It was my first time being in Israel for any holiday other than Channukah and it was a really great experience. It was the first time I think I really ever connected to prayer to a really depth - daily or holiday. At first I was a bit tired of learning so much about Rosh Hashanah,Teshuvah (repentance) and Elul (the Jewish month) but it was all worth it in the end because I really felt like I was participating in something rather than being a passive observer.
Following the 2 full days of eating we had the Fast of Gedalia - a mini practice for Yom Kippur which I was super grateful for because I was feeling as though rolling to class was going to be my best option!
After chat I also got some really exciting news - my mom would be coming to Israel in time for Yom Kippur! I was extremely surprised only because my mom always says she wants to go to Israel but in the last 6-7 years has failed to purchase a ticket! Alas, she lands tomorrow morning (drink a lot on the plane!) and I am very much looking forward to having her hear for YK. Hopefully she'll take the next few weeks to really see the country and enjoy (possibly spoil) herself - and me too and I tag along sometimes :p
Her trip coincides nicely with my break from school so in addition to hanging out with imah I ope to take time to travel around and do some new things especially take in some of Hashem's nature with friends. I think it'll be weird not going to classes for over 2 weeks so I'm going to have to find some way to satisfy the Torah learning need which is tough for me to do alone....but at the same time is probably a good habit to learn to get into.
So, seeing as I've been sitting in Cafe Net for approximately 2 and a bit hours I should probably get on my way before the employees think I'm taking up permanent residence!
I'd like to give over some thoughts on Yom Kippur but to be honest I'm having some difficulty gathering up my wits about it. Its awe inspiring and kinda overwhelming to process the greatness of the day. Knowing that Hashem would forgive me for everything I've done and love me as much after as before is a big deal. More than a big deal its kind of unbelievable. I hope the davening goes well and that I can follow properly (even on my own). one of the ideas I like the most about YK is separating oneself from the physical world, which I find myself very much connected to, to give my soul time to be satisfied.
I've been told I'm getting a bit preachy so I'll try to give as many unscary thoughts as possible. However, I hope to wisdom to share with my 12-15 remaining dedicated readers so if you're not a far I won't be offended if you go on Facebook instead!
To those of you who are fasting have an easy and meaningful fast
May you all be inscribed in the book of life
Shana Tova :)

Dana Ayelet

2 comments:

  1. Hey Dandoush!! Aww, I was looking forward to some awesome learning from your bolg today! I hope it wasn't me that made you feel like you were sounding preachy - you so aren't!! Maybe I'm trying to live vicariously through you and tried to make sense of your last post compared to the others. I love what you share - especially in the first and second blog. I can imagine though, how intense the information must be leading up to yom kippur that it may seem impossible to condense it all into a paragraph in a blog post. I hope to hear more about what you learn, tomorrow. Or maybe after YK. Make sure to tell mom to bring back my favourite things from Israel!! Although she's going for a whole month - I can't believe it! Thank you so much for calling me on my birthday! You were one of the only ones who did! xoxo.

    ReplyDelete